Sunday 11 August 2013

Sailing

Craig liked to do what ever he did very well! Here is one example.

Back in the mid nineties I introduced Craig to the joys of sailing a small cruising yacht I owned. Apart from cruising to Port Davey and other places with me Craig helped me race my little yacht in Port Cygnet and Huon races. One year we entered the Shipwrights Point Regatta. There was a lightning pennant of five races run over a short course during one hectic afternoon. Craig and I had a ball throwing my little yacht around the course and to my great surprise we won. We were naturally pleased. I cannot remember what the prize was but we did not need one. The joy of winning and the camaraderie of working as a tight knit team was enough for us. We sailed back to my mooring at Deep Bay. When we dropped the mainsail the boom fell to the deck with a crash. We had won those races with a broken gooseneck. We had probably broken the fitting while crash jibing in haste to get the best position in a race. No matter we had won! The boom would soon be repaired.

This is just one example of Craig's enthusiasm for competing. I have many others. Can you skip a stone on water with 21 bounces Craig was sure he could!

No comments: